I'm officially two weeks away from my second half marathon and contemplating signing up for my third here soon. And when I was talked into trying running for the first time all I heard was all the great things:
1) It helps you to lose weight faster
2) It gives you more motivation
3) Personal satisfaction of finishing that run/race
4) It's addicting
But what people don't tell you is the truth. Running isn't just sunshine and roses and I'm about to tell you all the dirty secret things that runners like me leave out when we brag about that 10 miles run we just ran.
Top 10 Things Runners DON'T Tell The Non Runners! (contributions from other runners and bloggers!)
10) You can't just go out for a jog. If you don't know where you are running, it's very easy to get lost. Especially on trail runs out away from civilization: "A quick 5 miler turns into a 10 miler"- Adventures of the K Family
9) Suddenly running on a sidewalk and then the sidewalk disappears- or base fails to fix the sidewalks and you nearly twist your ankle- April from Hearts on Guard
8) Run clothes are not all they are cracked up to be: Shorts that ride up and you are constantly pulling them out of your crotch, Shirts that ride up and show your belly to everyone, some run shorts are really drafty and you constantly feel like everyone you pass is getting a show of your birthday suit, bras that don't support you completely and you risk the side boob or front boob pop outs. Under Armour especially- these ride your abdomen for those without the sexy slim stomach- Some contribution from April & Neidy
7) "Running the dogs and having them sprint and stop every 10 feet so you end up cramping" - Hawaii Military Pets
6) Cars, People, and especially moms & dads with "strollers will never seem to realize they are running you off the road" or sidewalk when they in fact are or practically run you over in the process- A Girl
5) "The importance of knowing where every bathroom (or heavily wooded area) is along your route - running really gets things moving" - Fantastically Average
Think I'm wrong? Try a 10 mile road in a residential area and you seriously start weighing your options of knocking on strangers doors.
4) The hoot and hollers and light flashes you get when running by a road. I have been cat called and whistled at, and some people's favorite thing to do is flash their brights in my face on a night run. Thanks jerks, as if I'm not self conscious enough in the non flattering clothes runners have to wear for comfort, now I can't see where I am running. Or the arch nemesis of runners- "all of a sudden the neighborhood sprinkler system turns on right on top of you"- Hawaii Military Pets
3) Blisters- I doubt there is any shoe in the world that doesn't give you blisters on long runs...I'm talking the bad blisters, under your toe nail, on your arch, blisters under your calluses on your feet. Your feet take a beating for sure. I pop blisters every week and they re-appear in the same spots every time.
2) "Definitely Chaffing"- Food, Fitness, and Family especially boob chaffing. Runners neglect to tell you about the chaffing certain fabrics and clothes produce when running long distances- inner thighs, armpits, under boob, nipples, whatever you think won't chaff, does. And man does it hurt when you hop in the shower. Carpet Rash has nothing on boob chaffing I tell you.
1) And the number one thing runners don't tell non runners- Is how much of a bad ass it makes you feel. Talk about an ego boost, especially when talking to other non runners.
What about you? Any things runners never told you about before you converted to the dark side?